So this blog will almost certainly become more bullet point and note based – I make no apologies for that!
My daughter Ella Cronk was born on the 28th Oct – a few days early! 1st Nov was due date. She was 6lbs 13. Now weighs 8lbs at time of writing.
Pregnancy & Birth were pretty straightforward but the first week wasn’t! In particular breastfeeding and weight loss.
- Even if you plan to Breastfeed, have some ready made UHT formula on hand. We’ve been using Aptimil to great success (recommended and used by the NHS near us).
- The books and advice don’t always work – take a blend of things and decide for yourself what is best.
- Be prepared to get your baby cooler if she is too sleepy to feed at least once every 3 hours or so.
- Nappy changes aren’t as bad as I thought they would be – in fact in most cases they are a nice opportunity to have some awake time with a newborn (they will spend a lot of time asleep).
- We quickly learned that Medela kit for breast feeding is very good (as is the Philips Avent stuff according to friends and NHS staff). We’ve binned most of our Tommy Tippee stuff. This Amazon review (and the fact that its been reduced so heavily and the Medela hasn’t) says it all:
The good review says its not noisy – I don’t think they have have seen (and not heard) a Medela – ie you really can’t hear them – my wife and I have fallen asleep whilst its been on! No way that would happen with the TT one. We only got one use out of the TT before it stopped working.
Will try and keep up with the occasional new dad blog post if time allows!
Off to Wales for a cheeky short Mountain Biking blast (my first exercise since Ella arrived)!